Salient Points for the Seniority List of Employees

Today I am going to explain the main points in connection with the seniority list. While preparing the seniority there are many points that must be kept in mind so that the accuracy may be maintained in the seniority list. There may be some other points in complicated cases but I am mentioning below some salient points in connection with the seniority.

Seniority for the employees who are appointed vide the same letter/notification

If many employees are appointed vide the same letter or notification then there are some times clearly written that the seniority of the newly appointed employees will be according to the serial number. The employee at the serial No. 1 will the senior of all and at the last number will be junior of all provided the employee joins the duty at due date.

If any employee joins later, then he will be junior to those who join their duty earlier.

If employees join on the same date then there is no difference of their seniority but the condition is that there should be clearly written that the seniority will be according to the serial number.

Seniority for the employees who join on the same date

If there is no above mentioned condition of serial number then if two employees join on the same date then the person who is older will be senior to the person who is younger.

Seniority for the employees who are promoted

The promoted employees will be kept at the bottom of the seniority of the employees of who are already in the same scale. If one person is appointed directly and the other is promoted on the same date, then the promotee will be senior.

If one employee is appointed 1st in a certain pay scale and the promotion of other employee occurs after that date then the 1st appointee will be senior to the promotee.

The seniority of all the promoted employees is according to their earlier seniority list in the previous scale. It means their seniority list will be according to the promotion list as the promotion list is prepared according to the seniority.

There will be no difference in seniority if any promotee employee joins later than the other promotee employee. There seniority will always be according to their promotion list.

Seniority of the employees who are re-appointed

The seniority of the re-appointed employee will be according to his/her new appointment. His previous seniority will not be considered. The conditions for his/her seniority will be the same as mentioned for the “seniority for the employees who are appointed vide the same letter/notification” and “seniority for the employees who join on the same date.”

Seniority of the employees who are regularized

The employees who are regularized are kept at the bottom from their date of regularization, of seniority of the employees that are earlier in the same pay scale.

There may be some times other terms and conditions in connection with seniority list.

Seniority List

In the case of persons appointed otherwise, with reference to the dates of their continuous appointment in the grade; provided that if the date of continuous appointment in the case of two or more persons appointed to the grade is the same, the older if not junior to the younger in the next below grade, shall rank senior to the younger person.

For full details Download from below link the Chapter Seven of Seniority List Rulings.

Download Chapter Seven of Seniority List

1. Farrukh Imtiaz says:

sir i was appointed in PASSCO on 04-07-1992 as Assistant Purchase Inspector and remusterred API to Junior Clerk on 2013 on request, my seiority was where exist or contracted employees who joined 2012 and regularized afer my remusteration can they will be senior to me or where my siniority will be fixed

2. shahid shafi says:

Dear madam
    i was an army person in BPS X-2 ( i think equal to 8 scale) i have applied through proper channels for BPS-10 scale in military accounts department as KPO. then my previous service has been count and my pay also fix at higher stage og BPS-10 . Please tell me that what date of enrollment will be written on my document. and what will be date considered for promotion purpose.. my date of joining in earlier department ( army) was 30-06-2000 and this department is 16-05-2009. My previous service has been counted for pension purpose but not for promotion purpose. please clarify.

3. Rana Muhammad Asif says:

67 Junior Clerks (earlier recruited on contract basis from 2003-2009) were re-appointed on regular basis w.e.f. 14.10.2009 by P&D department Punjab declaring that contract period shall not be counted for any purpose (Pension, Gratuity, Leaves, etc.) Pay will start at initial and probation will start from date of regular appointment in term of section 5 of PCS and Rule 7 of PCS (A&CS) rules 1974...................................................................................................... I want to know, 1--the seniority of 67 J/Cs will be on the basis of age or their joining for contract appointment 2- initial appointment will be date of contract appointment or date of regular appointment 3-- 1st entry into govt. service will be date of contract appointment or date of regular appointment. if any do answer -- please email me (asif2000255@hotmail.com)

4. muhammad arif zia says:

dear i m interested to seek some guidelines in setting seniority

i was appointed as Assistant director on 09 january 2008 along with two other officers. these two were placed higher in seniority with the points that they have secured higher marks than me.
    but as per written test i secured higher than both of these. after interview marks their marks exceed my marks.

my question is can i challege this seniority as in the interview my got favor?

and second question is that

were three were appointed on 09 january 2008, and a promoteee from our department got promoted on APril 2008. he has been placed senior with the point that as the appointment and promotion has been occured durring the same financial year so promotee will be seniour. i don't think it is as per rules. i studied estacode but could not find answer.
    please tell me either he is senior to all of us or otherwise

i am thankful of you regards

5. wasim arif says:

dear shumaila hope u r good
    1. plz tell me about the seniority w.r.t. age difference.old one is senior one, is it true if joining is on same day.
    2. plz share document...in which all info mentioned about promotions and seniority matters.
    3. heard from someone dat govt is going to restructure the salary scales in december 2013..is it true?

• Dear Wasim Arif, I have already mentioned in this article if there is mention in the orders that the seniority is based on the merit list then the seniority will be according to the merit list and if there is no such condition then the seniority is based on age. The older is senior than the younger.
      Let's see the month of December if there is any implementation.

• M.SHARIF ANJUM says:

asalamo alaikum sister meri appointment as s.s.t (science ) 01/09/93 mien public service commition k zarey district khushab hoi thi. 20/02/2002 mien , mien transfer krwa kr sargodhaa giya tha .2007 mien district ki tabdeeli ki waja sy mujhy c.m pakage k teht mujhy 17 scale k leye consider nahen kia gia. reason ye batai gai k district ki tabdeeli ki waja sy meri seniority loose ho gai ha, jabky dono district k jari krda noc,s , DPI k jari krda order,DCO, E.D.O k jari krda adjustment order mien term and condition mien kahen bhi meri seniority k loose hony ka zikr nahen,kai dafa office approach kia liken wo written mien reply nahen krty k meri seniority keon loose ki gai, plz guid me for this, what can I do , plz sister guid and and help to overcome this matter, mery sath k appointed teacher is waqat 18 scale mien kaam kr rahy hien or mien abhi tk 16 mien dhaky kha raha hoon . khuda apka bhala kry ga

• Dear M Sharif Anjum as for I know if the person is transferred on his own will from one district to another district he seniority will be put at the bottom of the existing employees of the other district.

6. Yasir ALam says:

Dear Mam,

I have sent E.Mail but not answered. Please tell me that MBAs may apply for SS(Commerce) and if yes, which conditions are applicable ?

Waiting for your candid response.

Yasir Alam

yasir.vu44@gmail.com

7. Nadeem RAJA says:

i am sure that why i am asking from your goodself plz discuss with your seniors

8. Nadeem RAJA says:

aoa

Dear mam i want to ask question about seniority regarding the employees whom services were regularized w.e.f. 14.10.2009.

1. The Persons who were appointed on contract basis as Assistant BS-11 up graded in 2007 BS-14. and the persons who were already regular as Senior Clerk and promoted as Assistant in 2006 to 13.10.2009.

Tell me plz with reference or order if any issue or court decision who are senior.
    Thanks in Advance

• Dear Nadeem it is a complicated question.

• Fayyaz Ahmed says:

Dear sis, my appointment was along with others listed in one list. My serial no. was 05. It means I am junior to only 4 employees. My No. in merit was also 5th.
        You mentioned due date, what do you mean by due date. Is it the period of time which given to an employ for joining.

• Dear Fayyaz some times there is written in the appointment letter that these employees join their duties upto some date. It is due date. The Employee who joins first is senior and the one who joins later is junior.

• Jamal Nasir says:

what is the date of regularization of assistants appointed on contract basis?

9. shahid says:

agar kuch log aik hi din sa regular hua houn too phir on ki seniority list kis tarha bana gee

10. Ali says:

For e.g Organization inducted 10 people and it has prepared merit list of these 10 inductees so Can organization prepare seniority list on the basis of marks/merit obtained in test and interview irrespective of these 10 inductees irrespective of date of joining.

11. Ghulam Rasool says:

Sir,
    I was appointed as Assistant accounts on 2/2/1988 on graduation basis and worked with honestly and with full dedication due to this I was awarded on 28/5/2009 with honorarea and cash prise after passing of 22 years I was promoted as Sr. Assistant in sps 14 although honorable supreme court decission all Asstt were upgraded in bps014 equvalent to sps06 no service carrier benifit in this regard received. I had improve my higher qualification MBA Finance from recognised orginization but no service benifit received me although the person seving in SPS05 from 4 years were also up graded/ promoted in sps-6

12. Ihsan says:

The cabinet sub-committee has regularized contractual employees.

Does any one know, has there been any ruling / decision that how will be the inter se seniority of the same determined? I am asking about grade 17 and above.

Thanks.

13. khalid abbasi says:

A EMPLOYEE (PHARMACY TECH) JOINING DATE IS 2006 AS CONTRACT, HIS DATE OF BIRTH IS 1980.

ANOTHER EMPLOYEE (PHARMACY TECH) JOINING DATE IS 2007 AS CONTRACT , HIS DATE OF BIRTH IS 1975.

BOTH EMPLOYEES REGULARIZED ON 14.10.2009.

WHICH EMPLOYEE WILL BE SENIOR ?

14. Asim Alvi says:

Its right. Date of joining is the base of seniority. If somebody have higher qualification then he have to apply for the higher post.

15. adnan nawaz says:

KIYA SENORITY LIST KA BASE EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND NAHI HONA CHAYE, HUM DEKHTY HAIN KE METRIC WALAY SENIORS HO JATE HAIN JAB KE M.A UNKE JUNIOR HOTAY HAIN, YE SYSTEM SARAASER WRONG HAI, SENORITY MUST BE MADE BY EDUCATIONAL BASE.