Higher Education Commission has clarified vide its letter dated 23-05-2017 in connection with Grant of M.Phil Allowance MS Degree Holders and M. Phil Degree Holders. Detail is as under:
- Reference to F.No.3 (6)Imp/2016-Vol-ll-4 dated January 04, 2017 on subject cited above.
- Under the provision of Section 10 clause 1(o) of HEC`s Ordinance No. l,lll, dated 11.09.2002, the Quality Assurance Division of HEC has devised the Admission and Award of Degree Criteria for MS/MPhil/PhD/Equivalent Programs. As per HECs approved criteria (enclosed), there is no difference between MS and MPhil degrees except nomenclature. As such, there are two types of MS/MPhil Degrees that are mentioned below:
- MS/MPhil by Course Work (30 credit hours)
- MS/MPhil by Thesis (24 cred house course work + 06 credit houses thesis)
- It is further added that in some case, nomenclature was change from MPhil to MS after the introduction of BS and MS programs by HEC. As such following types of degrees are awarded as equivalent to 18 years of schooling:
|S No.||Degree Title||Description|
|i||a. MPhil Degree (with thesis ) |
b. Ms Degree (with thesis)
|Both are equal degree, awarded after 24 credit houses course work. + 06 credit house thesis. There is no difference except nomenclature.|
|ii||a. MPhil Degree by Course work |
b. MS Degree by course Work
|Both are equal degree, awarded after 30 credit houses course work . There is no difference except nomenclature.|
|iii||Equivalent degrees of Other disciplines like Engineering. Agriculture, Law, MBA, etc. |
|In these disciplines, degrees are not awarded with MS/MPhil Title while degrees are equated to 18 years of Schooling.|
- According to above referred Office Memorandum od Govt. of Pakistan, Fiancé Division, the Phil allowance is granted to these only who acquire/presses the degree of MPhil recognized by the HEC. However, in view of the above mentioned clarification, all those who have MPhil recognized or MS degrees (18 years schooling) should be eligible to draw the allowance @ Rs. 2500/- per month.
- Forwarded for your favorable consideration, please.