Last Updated on August 15, 2019 by Galaxy World
Government of the Punjab, Services & General Administration Department (Regulation Wing) has issued Notification on 20-11-2015 in connection with Procedure for Counting Words for Typing Test. Detail is as under:
Kindly refer to the subject noted above.
- In order to streamline the procedure and to ensure transparency in conducting /typing tests in accordance with speed prescribed in the relevant service ruled for the recruitment of Stenographers/junior Clerks, the following guidelines are issued for the guidance of selection authorities.
Counting Words for Typing Test – Shorthand Test
- The required number of words per minute, of the concerned department will be multiplied with five (5), that would be equal to total numbers of words, required for dictation.
- Calculate the total errors after dictated passage is received by the examiner.
- ½ mark is deducted for error in shorthand script and one mark is deducted for one error in transcribed script.
- The total of errors is counted and they should not exceed 5% i.e. if a candidates takes dictation of 400 words, his errors should not be more than 20.
- 400-20-380 380×100/400=95%.
- 95% accuracy is required for successful candidates appearing in shorthand test.
Counting Words for Typing Test on Computer
- Five strokes are equal to one word.
- The required number if words per minute, of the concerned department will be multiplied with five (50, that would be equal to total numbers of words required for dictation, i.e. for spread of 40 words per minute total words to be typed. 40×5=200 words.
- If a candidates types 200 words in the stipulated five minutes and he made 10 errors, than his speed will be calculated as under:
Total words 200
Errors 10×5 =50
Speed = 200-50 = 150/5 = 30 words per minute.
- It is therefore, requested to kindly ensure transparency in the typing test by following the above said guidelines.
Special thanks to Mr. Ghulam Mustafa Ch for sending the copy of the Notification of Procedure for Counting Words for Typing Test issued by Services & General Administration Department of the Government of Punjab.