Admissibility of House Rent Allowance to Married Govt Servants

Last Updated on February 18, 2021 by Galaxy World

Finance Division Regulation Wing Islamabad has issued Notification No. F.2 (1) R.5/2007 dated 18th April 2013 in connection with Admissibility of House Rent Allowance to Married Govt Servants (Husband Wife) where either of the spouses has been provided with Govt Accommodation.

According to O.M’s No. 2(2) K-5/83 dated 10-04-1988 and No. 2(1)K- 511991 dated 25-8-1991, if both husband and wife are living in the Govt accommodation that is situated at the same station then no one of these two is entitled to get the House Rent Allowance. If both are residing separately and one they are residing in Govt accommodation them the person who is not living in Govt residence, is eligible to get the HRA.

Now, according to the fresh notification issued by the Finance Division in the light of the decision Federal Service Tribunal and Federal Shariat Court, the Govt of Pakistan has made the decision with immediate effect that in case both husband and wife are employees of Government/autonomous/semi-autonomous organization and they are posted at

Same or different station (no restriction of same of other), they will both be entitled to get HRA and if both are residing in Govt accommodation then one of them is not entitled to get HRA who has been allotted Govt accommodation.

It is clear from the above situation that both husband and wife are entitled to get the House Rent Allowance if both are Govt Employees. In the same way, if they are residing in Govt Residence then one of them will not be eligible to get the HRA whose name the residence has been allotted.




Notification of the Punjab Govt issued vide Notification No. FD.SR.1.3-4/85 (Pt.I)(PR) dated 19th April 2013 is as under:


Punjab HRA Husband

Share this post

8 thoughts on “Admissibility of House Rent Allowance to Married Govt Servants

  1. Dear Miss Kamal
    I am regular employee of Livestock Department, Govt of Punjab. I am living in Govt residence at my work place. Recently Secretary Livestock Mr. Naseem Sadiq visited my farm and I have requested him to make our residences (Rent Free)
    He asked me to quote an example so that he can act accordingly
    Can you provide me any such notification where a Govt residence is declared as rent free

    Thanking you in anticipation

  2. Asalam o alekum,

    Sir main aur mari wife ek hee department main hain aur aur dono ek he gher main rehraty hain jo kay goverment ka hay , jo meri wife kay name hay . aur mujhay house rent aur electricity free units bhee bhee nhee mil raha kun kay hum dono he wapda main hain . plz tell me kia mujhe house rent aur free unts of electricity mil saktay hain .


  3. Assalam-o-Alekum

    I shall be obliged if you can mail me soft copies of Finance Division’s OMs dated 10-04-1988 and 25-08-1991 referred in OM dated 18-04-2013.

  4. Salam

    If any of the Employee is not availing the facility of Accommodation and availing the HIRING facility so wht is the rule for the House Rent of Both Husband and WIFE.



Post Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.