I am sharing the details of the New Pension Rules for Government Employees of Pakistan. These rules have no documentation proof. Only rumors are being spread. These rules that are in various news may or may not be the real pension rules. Some of the below-mentioned facts were also discussed in the new pension reforms 2023 as per the closing budget speech. Let’s discuss the same matter in detail:
Some Facts of New Pension Rules for Government Employees of Pakistan
- Viewers must have come across so many rumours, both oral as well as written, about new pension rules which, if and when implemented, would deprive the affected pensioners of more than one benefit available currently to pensioners. These disadvantageous amendment proposals include:
(i) No multiple pensions – only 1 pension would be admissible;
(ii) Increases in pension would be admissible on Net Pension (as against current admissibility on previous years’ increase amounts also)
(iii) Family pension to be allowed only for 10 years (instead of for life)
(iv) Either salary or pension on re-employment, not both.
(v) Deduction of a certain %age from pension if sought before superannuation.
(vi) Deduction from salary of Contributory Pension subscription
(vii) No retirement benefit for less than 10 years’ service.
Premature to Offer Comments
- It would be premature to offer comments on the proposed amendments. If and when proper notifications for amendment in the rules are issued, para-wise comments will then be offered.
- As for the legal position of the disadvantageous amendments, it can only be said that new / amended rules will be applicable to those government servants who:-
(i) Opt for the amended rules; and
(ii) who join the service after the rules are amended.
- Enforcement of amended rules on pensioners already drawing pension on the date of amended rules would not be legally correct. For example, if the new or amended rules are given effect from 1 Jan 2024, the pensioners as on 31 Dec 2023 will continue to receive pension as per rules prevalent on 31 Dec 2023.
- The opinion expressed in para 4 above is based on Section 3 (2) of the Civil Servants Act 1973, (Act No. LXXI of 1973). which is reproduced below for ready reference. Similar protection would be admissible to provincial civil servants.
CHAPTER II.-TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF SERVICE OF CIVIL SERVANTS
- Terms and conditions.- (1) The terms and conditions of service of a civil servant shall be as provided in this Act and the rules.
(2) The terms and conditions of service of any person to whom this Act applies shall not be varied to his disadvantage
- Viewers are welcome to favor me with their opinion through email at [email protected] and WhatsApp at 0300-9800246.
You may also like: Pension Calculator 2022-23 Federal and Provinces