Detail of Extra Ordinary Leave (Leave Without Pay)

I am sharing here the detail of Extra Ordinary Leave (Leave Without Pay) for the information of the employees. There are major two leaves without pay. One for 2 years maximum and other is for maximum 5 years. Summary is as under:

Ground on Which Extra Ordinary Leave May be Granted:

This leave may be granted on any ground.

Maximum Period of Leave Without Pay

Maximum Period of Leave Without Pay is five years at one time but the employee must have continuous service of minimum 10 years and if he has less than 10 years service but more than 5 years service he/she may be granted 2 years EOL.

EOL to Permanent Employee or Temporary Employee

EOL (Leave Without Pay) may be granted to a regular as well as temporary employee. Further details is available at the copy of the ESTA CODE page attached below.

Extracted from: ESTA CODE

I have already discussed about the Paternity Leave that is only granted to the Punjab Government Employees for a period of only once for one week in the whole service.

Leave Without Pay

28 thoughts on “Detail of Extra Ordinary Leave (Leave Without Pay)

1. One govt Officer availed leaves of 35 days in last 04 months but not on continuous basis but one day and on two days basis. Total leaves were 35 days in 04 months.
    After about 10 months, it was conveyed to officer by department head (who is totally biased and have hate against concerned officer) that your 35 days accumulated leaves have been granted by the competent authority as “Leave without pay” and Rs. 90000/- will be deducted from your salary in installments at the rate of ten thousand per month. Is this legal?
    Can Officer appeal against this high handedness? while officer did not request any leave on without pay basis, he took all leave as CL or Earned leave as he had 200 hundred leaves in his balance. Please some one reply and guide how to handle this unfair treatment. Officer is lady and her boss is very cruel against her due to one or another reason.

2. Sir, Kindly explain me that to get 2 years extraOrdinary leave ,is there a condition of being in continues service for minimum of 5 years?
    Because i have got 2 years EOl just after 1.5 years..
    So kindly explain this to me sir

3. I have spent 3 years on regular post (Primery School Teacher). Afterthat Now I am on Adhoc post from 2 years in same Education Dept.
    Can I get 2 years Without Pay Leave for Mphil?
    What is the rule Can I get EOL for 2 years?

4. I am a govt employee and was suspended for eight months later on I was reinstated but the intervening period was unsettled in the review meeting the intervening period was treated on extraordinary leave whilst I was exonerated by the inquiry committee and during suspension I was also performed the duty. What can I do now?

5. Dr. Muhammad Hussnain Babar · Edit

i have avail 3 months Extra ordinary leave without pay, when i was promoted in next grade i was on 3rd position and total 8 people was promoted. i was promoted on acting charge basis while my 5 junior was promoted on regular basis. the 3 month EOL without pay will affect my seiority or not?

6. i am a maharashtra state govt,employee.completed service of 7 years.for foreign travel can i get leave without pay for 3 years?

7. I have 1 year service, and was granted EOL for 02 years in 2014. I applied for extension of EOL in 2016 as my training was pending. My new SO is saying no extension application record is available in my file. Now these 3 years gap period will have what implication on my service/joining if considered as absence without leave ?

8. What effect it would have on seniority and promotion of an employee if he avails EOL of a few months during regular service.. How much extraordinary leave is permissible without affecting seniority?

9. If he has more than 5 years service but less then 10 year then he may be granted EOL for 2 year? Are you sure about this? because there is no such provision in revised leave rules.

1. Yes, I am also unable to witness any such provision. I guess there is no minimum service period condition to avail extraordinary leave for upto 02 years. (05 years service requirement as mentioned seems misleading- no such provisions found in leave rules)

10. AoA,
    I have availed four years study leave for my PhD which is near to end. My PhD is still in progress and I am need of more 4-6 months leave.
    What legal options I have in hand? kindly reply here or through my email